Sunday, May 13, 2012

Why do we run?


Why do they run? I used to ask myself this question all the time, why the heck anyone would enjoy running. Now that I have joined the running bandwagon, I find myself asking another question, why do WE run?  I don’t know why everyone runs – I hardly know why I run, but I know why I keep running.

Clarity. When I run I am able to clear my mind and just think about my goal. Whatever that goal may be 1 mile, 3 miles, 1 hour – it doesn’t matter what the goal is, but it is what consumes my thoughts while I am running. When I run other thoughts are destined to cross my mind, which I embrace and entertain, but the moment it is a thought of worry I gently remind myself in this moment there is no worry – just my goal. Running has helped me use this clarity of thought in other aspects of my life.

Friendship. Even when I didn’t run regularly and still was curious why others ran – I knew I enjoyed running. There has just always been something so extremely gratifying about running. This year a good friend and I decided we were going to run in a marathon by the time we graduate with our master’s. We were able to support each other, challenge each other, and be there for each other during this running endeavor. While there is value in motivating yourself, there is something special about having a running partner and friend to help you meet your goals.

Focus. When I meet my running goals, or even when I don't, I am amazed at how much I was able to run. How much focus I was able to have to meet this goal. One thing running has taught me is how to keep focus to meet a goal. I think you will find the same thing with running - once you start running you will see that you are able to focus on your goals, whatever they may be. 

I always wanted to run, I was scared and didn't think I would be able to do it, but I started and I gained so much from it. Have you always wanted to run? What is holding you back? It might be hard at first, but overtime you will see progress and you may even find you love it! Please share your journey with me @byebyeryan

In peace,
Ryan

No comments: